NetherRealm Studios, a division of WB Games Inc., seeks a Designer to be responsible for significant contributions to game design with a focus on combat and moment-to-moment gameplay. This position works directly with the Lead Designer and fellow Designers to concept, implement, and maintain combat-centric systems, game balance, and character tuning. This position may also be required to assist or contribute to non-core gameplay features, such as additional game modes or meta systems, if needed.
The Designer will be responsible for assisting in the implementation of character navigation, combat mechanics, and other core gameplay features as required. Additionally, this position is responsible for assisting in the generation of animation shot lists and working with the Animation Department to help direct motion capture talent in shoots.
This position works closely with the Senior and Lead Game Designers to ensure that the overall design vision is being properly executed and communicated.
Within the studio, the Designer collaborates on design goals with the Lead Designer and Creative Director. This includes generating concept proposals for features, documenting feature and asset requirements for multiple disciplines, and implementing design using both script and editor based toolsets.
- Assists in designing and scripting in-game experiences, including the implementation of characters and their navigation, combat, and in-game particle effects.
- Works closely with Animation Department to generate mocap shot lists and help direct mocap performances.
- Plays and evaluates combat constantly over the course of the project and iterates based on feedback to achieve a high degree of polish.
- Analyzes and incorporates user feedback from consumer usability tests.
- Works with personnel on R&D efforts for new game systems and creates playable prototypes as required.
- Participates in regular, hands on interaction with Team members to ensure that the concepts and content of assigned games meet design requirements.
- Establishes and maintains good relationships with all team members and is able to implement solutions to problems in an effective, respectful manner.
- Coordinates and liaises with all necessary departments and divisions to facilitate execution of projects and materials in a professional and client-centric manner. This includes keeping the Producer and Design Leadership apprised of game status.
- Develops strong relationships to establish and maintain a reliable and timely flow of information and materials to all parties as necessary.
- B.A. degree preferred or equivalent job experience.
- 2 – 5 years game design experience required.
- Worked on least one title with a strong emphasis in combat design and implementation.
- Previous experience working with Unreal Engine 4 and Blueprints is highly desired.
- Previous programming or scripting experience preferred.
- Previous experience working on Console and PC games is a plus.
- Passion for action and fighting games with a focus on combat mechanics.
- Programming or scripting experience strongly preferred
- Direct experience in implementing navigation and/or combat mechanics (with a preference on melee based combat) on at least 1 shipped title
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
Your information will now be submitted via our parent company’s site, TimeWarner.com.