Lead VFX Artist
TT Games Studios Limited, a division of WB Games Inc. are looking to recruit a Lead VFX Artist on a 12 month fixed term contract, to commence in September 2019.
As a Lead VFX Artist on the team, you will be expected to lead the VFX team and work alongside Designers, other Artists, Programmers and Producer on a day-to-day basis, conceptualising and creating a wide range of visual effects for our games that achieve the production and quality goals set for the project. You will also work closely with the Head of Art in setting the style and quality standard for the games.
You will be expected to estimate timescales for your tasks in advance and deliver milestones as part of the development process. You should be able to show creative leadership to the VFX team, inspiring them to work to their potential and take pride in what they produce.
You will be an experienced and passionate individual who takes your career in visual effects seriously. You will need to be extremely creative, but also able to apply logic and analytical thought to the medium. You will also be able to communicate your ideas well both verbally and in writing, and take pride in seeing your ideas come to fruition over the development process.
- Responsible for conceptualising and creating a wide range of visual effects for the game, compliant with game design and vision.
- Creation of high quality game and cutscene specific VFX using in-house editor and packages provided (Maya and Photoshop).
- Liaise with Gameplay Artists & Code with regards to placing and triggering gameplay-specific VFX.
- Feedback any risks or concerns of game designs impacting the schedule.
- Work with Art Director to ensure consistency between vision and implementation of effects.
- Working closely with other departments on effects heavy levels to balance frame-rate.
- Ensuring work/level hits all memory and frame rate guides/restrictions for all platforms required.
- Understanding that changes and amendments are part of the pipeline.
- Responsible to plan and prioritise assigned workload within given deadline.
- Attending meetings to note the VFX requirements in conjunction with Level Director
- Help to mentor other VFX artists and lead by example.
- Document and communicate clear technical guidelines for VFX creation and real-time implementation to the team.
- Resolve assortment of complex artistic/VFX development issues for other VFX artists.
- Work closely with the engine programmers to build future tools and improve pipelines and graphic potential.
- Actively develop and improve skill set by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, and learning new software packages.
- Undertake relevant on-the-job training where required.
- Other tasks as required.
Line Management Responsibilities:
- Identifying and ensuring that all employee relation matters (including absence, performance and conduct) are dealt with in line with Company policies and procedures and in liaison with Human Resources.
- Ensuring adequate staffing levels to cover absence and throughout crunch periods.
- Assist in the recruitment of new employees in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Carrying out local inductions and probationary reviews for all new starters to ensure competence in the full range of tasks they are required to undertake.
- Delegating work to employees and monitoring output.
- Regularly reviewing employee performance through appraisals and 1-2-1’s to ensure targets and expected behaviours are delivered.
- Providing / arranging any required on-the-job training and coaching.
- Outstanding portfolio demonstrating VFX work.
- Demonstrable production experience as a VFX Artist in the games industry, preferably on console titles.
- Knowledge of game engines such as Unreal.
- Excellent communication and organisation skills.
- Effective time management skills to meet deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- Good working knowledge and proficiency of a 3D application, preferably Maya.
- Strong Photoshop editing skills for creating texture effects for use with the particle systems.
- Advanced skills of software used in game development (e.g. UE4, Unity).
- In-depth knowledge of VFX principals and good sense of timing and staging.
- Understanding of Shaders and Rendering Pipeline as it relates to VFX.
- Practical and methodical approach to both technical and creative problem-solving.
- Experience with a scripting language would be a big plus.
- Experience with fluid simulation tools (e.g. FumeFX) would be a plus.
- Highly self-motivated and show initiative.
- Ability and willingness to accept and follow direction and to collaborate productively with others.
- Exceptional eye for detail and drive for quality.
About TT Games Studios
Responsible for the best-selling and BAFTA-winning LEGO videogame series, TT Games Studios is in the business of delighting children and grown-ups alike. With 30 years of success behind our studio, and as a valued part of Warner Bros since 2007, we have incredibly exciting plans for future titles based on the world's biggest entertainment properties.
In late 2016 we were extremely proud to be joined by Playdemic, one of the UK’s most successful free-to-play mobile games developers and publishers. Their most recent title, Golf Clash, is a top-grossing smash hit on iOS and Android. Exciting news continued into 2017 as TT Odyssey was established, founded by some of the leading talent in the mobile games industry. TT Odyssey is the Brighton based, mobile-focused arm of Traveller’s Tales, designing from the ground-up a LEGO video game as a free to play mobile title.
We are always on the lookout for bright, talented and motivated people to join our AAA studio and to be part of everything we do, because we know it is the talent and dedication of our employees that has made our 30 years of success possible.
TT Games Studios offers successful candidates a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. Our work environment is inclusive, relaxed and friendly – one of the best things about working here is our fantastic people! We aim to support work-life balance, and some of the benefits we’re most proud of include: flexitime and other family-friendly benefits; discretionary bonus scheme; company pension scheme and life assurance. We also offer perks such as regular health and wellbeing activities (including on-site exercise classes), discounts on a wide range of company and partner products, free online training courses, complimentary fruit and a wide selection of drinks, social events and much more!
We expect high levels of ambition and innovation from our colleagues and an ability to flourish within the dynamic entertainment industry in which the company operates.
Your information will now be submitted via our parent company’s site, TimeWarner.com.