Job typeGame Development/Publishing
LocationCanada - Montreal, Quebec
Posted DateMar. 15, 2019
WB Games Montréal, a division on Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE), is seeking a Writer to join the team. This writer should have game writing experience working directly with a development team, excellent dialogue writing skills, and the ability to collaborate and integrate feedback from the lead writer as well as other development team members. The position will include all aspects of the character dialogue within the open world and missions, and will also require a deep understanding of systemic and gameplay driven dialog. The writer needs to have the ability to quickly write and rewrite lines. They should also have strong editing skills and the ability to give detailed, written feedback on peer writing.
- Plan, Write and Implement systemic and scripted story focused dialogue and text content throughout the game.
- Integrate comments from editors, designers, and development team members into various revision drafts of material, working collaboratively as a member of a team.
- Edit dialogue and text for other content as needed.
- Collaborate with the voice design & game designers on the implementation of story systems.
- Be ready to write dialog, combat one-liners, ambient conversations, non-vo descriptive texts and UI texts as required, as well as any other type of dialog required.
- Ensure that all dialogue and associated content is stylistically coherent with the story, and conforms to the IP and licensor requirements.
- Work with downstream teams to ensure content realization is on target
- Works with both internal and external teams to ensure a consistent high quality bar in our narrative content.
- Revise game dialogue, working closely with game design team for gameplay requirements.
- Help organize written and voiced content in collaboration with voice design for localization efforts
- Collaborate with design team to create and maintain the game bible, including character biographies and world back story.
JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS
- 2+ years of experience writing experience, including dialogue, treatments, and cinematics.
- Preferably shipped at least one title (this does not need to be a AAA title, though it should have narrative content).
- Experience working within multidisciplinary teams.
- An understanding of development pipelines
Education, Professional Training, Technical Training or Certification
- B.A. or equivalent job experience
- Superior writing ability with a particular emphasis on dialogue.
- High level of flexibility with regard to change in direction or rewrites.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team of writers and with a development team.
- An understanding of gameplay systems and what draws players to characters.
- Strong research skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of writing tools and script formatting (final draft or other script writing software, word, excel, various database solutions for content)
- Be ready to learn and become comfortable with in-house game writing tools.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Self-motivated, ability to work well independently.
- Solid understanding of industry trends in video games and interactive storytelling for various genres.
- Experience working with art team on cinematic development a plus.
- Experience directing voice actors and rewriting lines on the fly a plus.
Writing samples: please do not include writing samples at this time. They will be requested as needed.
NOTE: This application will require a writing test. We are aware of the time/effort required for such tests, and will respect the candidate’s time by ensuring the writing test is sensible in scope and investment of time.
Your information will now be submitted via our parent company’s site, TimeWarner.com.